The sad death of Elsie Bandy in Peoria, 1933
supplied by Susan B. Andrews
researched by Elaine Sokolowski, Peoria Public Library
Note from Susan B Andrews: I'm really not sure where in the line Elsie belongs, but my best guess is that she is the daughter of George L. and Mary Viola Tester Bandy.  George L. is the son of George W. and Mary Ann Kennedy Bandy.  George W. is the son of Samuel Coleman, Sr. and Sidney Nelson Bandy. 

Peoria Journal-Transcript  Sunday, May 21, 1933,  Page 1


No Blame Fixed in Elsie Bandy Case

PEKIN, Ill. May 20 (Special) An open verdict was returned by the coroner’s jurey which investigated the death of Elsie Bandy, 13-year-old girl of Orchard Mines, who died in the Pekin hospital at 5:30 o’clock Saturday morning of injuries received Friday night when she was struck by an automobile driven by Herbert Roman of Pekin on the road near her home.

No blame was fixed for the fatal accident, the coroner jury’s verdict merely reading:  “We the jury find hat Elsie Bandy came to her death at the Pekin Public hospital at 5 a. m., May 20, 1933, from a fracture of the skull received on May 19, 1933, about the hour of 8 p.m. on Route 9 near the foot of Tuscarora hill when she was struck by an automobile driven by Herbert Roman, 913 North Fourth street, Pekin, while walking on the east side of Route 9 towards Peoria, and the automobile driven by Herbert Roman was traveling north in the same direction": Signed: Glen Hoffman, William Naylor, John Gainer, H. D. Johnson, Congress Miller, John Rauch.

Several Witnesses

The inquest was conducted by Coroner Nelson A. Wright at the Noel Funeral Home Saturday afternoon. There was a group of witnesses, including John Bandy, who said Elsie had been in good health and spirits when she left home; Theodore Dobson who lives near the scene of the accident and was attracted by screams and helped carry Elsie Bandy off the road, and Ruth Ridell who resides near and witnessed the accident and who did not see another car coming.

Evelyn Hunt, sister of Noami Hunt, who was injured, told how she and her sister and Elsie had started for her home to get a guitar so they could have some Hawaiian music for a party at the Bandy home. They were approaching a truck parked just off the east side of the road. She was in front, followed by Elsie and Noami in the order named. When she realized the car was approaching she stepped aside. The car struck Elsie and the witness said she screamed and when she looked about she saw Elsie on the pavement and Noami on the fender.

Donald Hogue, who was sitting on the porch at the front of the store, said there was a car which passed but that it had no especially bright lights. Chief of Police Ralph Goar gave a report to the police entered by Night Chief Ted Mulvey which stated that George Bandy, father of Elsie, had reported that his daughter and another girl had been struck by a car and were in the hospital in a serious condition and the car did not stop. John Reinhadt, a Peoria road police officer, who reached the scene some time after the accident, and Chester Kappel, a coal miner who lives across the river and was in the vicinity of the accident hauling a load of coal to Peoria, were also witnesses.

Driver Testifies

Herbert Roman; the driver who struck the girls, testified that he did not recall seeing the truck the Hunt girl told about. There was a car approaching and he fixed his eyes on the dark line in the center of the road so that he would not be forced off in passing the car, he said. The moment he saw the girls he struck them and he had no opportunity to avoid the accident, he asserted. He said he stopped at the Hogue store about 150 yards beyond the accident and told them he had struck three girls. Then he ran back to the scene and asked somebody to get a car but no one did so. Then he went for his car which was damaged and by the time he got back the girls had been brought to Pekin in the ambulance and he drove to the Pekin police station.

Peoria Journal-Transcript December 19, 1935 Page 26

Mrs. Bandy Settles Death Damage Suit

Settlement for $1,500 of the claim of Mrs. Mary Bandy against Herbert Roman of Pekin for the death of her daughter, Elsie Bandy in an automobile accident near Kingston Mines was approved in probate court yesterday by Judge C. G. Cisna. The accident occurred May 19, 1935, when Roman’s car stuck the girl on the highway. Suit for $10,000 brought by Mrs. Bandy against Roman was dismissed in circuit court.